<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.thevintagevalley.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
The Vintage Valley: all time favourites...

The Vintage Valley

The personal blog of a vintage & goodwill shopper

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

all time favourites...

Its no lie when i say i am a huge Jane Austin fan i love her books, the movies made from her books and then the re-makes of the movies that were made from her books (phew) i am a complete romantic and my heart does melt when i read a good love story,  although i am in love with the idea of Jane Austin's romantic notions im not so deluded.. i know that i live in the 21st century and there is no way my man Z is going to show up at the door during a confusing yet compelling love triangle between us with his billowing white shirt un-buttoned revealing a chest of manly hair to sweep me off my feet...i am instead washing his dirty man clothes, cooking his dinner and fighting over who's turn it is to kill a disturbingly large spider in our bedroom..so romantic!! all the same us women can dream right? if i want to fantasise about Mr Darcy..then i darn well will!!
Photobucket Aside from my Jane Austin love i also have a huge collection of classic books, Oscar Wilde & John Steinbeck are a few of my other favourite authors but my most cherished book i found a few years ago.

I have always been interested in poetry but not to an extreme point, i enjoyed a good poem! but on a particularly low day when i was feeling a bit down i picked up an Alfred Lord Tennyson book (image below) of poetry and now its definitely one of my favourites i feel like i connect with his words in such an amazing way, if you haven't given his works a read get to it!!

Photobucket


I wanted to give you all a personal evaluation (im sounding very educated like) of each of the books i posted but im guessing most of you are huge fans of them all too (or were forced to read them in school..i wasn't though maybe thats why i love them), so lets just nod in agreement together! Hooray for knowledge and nerdy book posts!!

Do you have any classic book suggestions i just have to read?? i always need something new to tackle xx
(Book cover images from Penguin books website)

6 Comments:

Blogger Angie J. said...

Read the Great Gatsby and Wuthering Heights if you haven't already :D and yes, Jane Austen is great :)

x
Angie
sundaybelle.com

May 9, 2012 at 7:03 AM  
Blogger Cara-Mia said...

Ah I do love Jane Austen novels and movie adaptations. So dreamy.

My two all-time favorite books are classics: The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald and East of Eden by John Steinbeck (seriously read it if you haven't already, it is a masterpiece.) (Side note: I'm so obsessed with Steinbeck I have been to his museum three times, his childhood home, and his grave.)

May 9, 2012 at 9:57 AM  
Blogger Cassie said...

Try Brideshead Revisited by Evelyn Waugh. Charming, poignant, often absolutely hilarious. One of my favorites and I have similar tastes as you, it seems.

May 9, 2012 at 4:03 PM  
Blogger Taylor said...

Anne Bronte's Tenant of Wildfell Hall. As much as I enjoyed Austen's work, I think Anne Bronte's characters, especially the female ones, have much more depth.

May 16, 2012 at 4:40 AM  
Blogger gina said...

I second Tenant of Wildfell Hall. I loved it.

I've been really into Edith Wharton lately. Age of Innocence is far and away her best, but even her less famous novels are good. You can see certain flaws and it's pretty easy to tell why they aren't classics like Age of Innocence, House of Mirth, Ethan Frome, but I haven't yet read a Wharton book that I haven't loved.

Also really good is Pearl Buck's The Good Earth.

June 6, 2012 at 7:43 PM  
Blogger gina said...

P.S. I love Austen too. Emma is my favorite. I have a nice hardback collection of the complete Austen novels, but I just downloaded Emma onto my iPhone to read on my commute.

June 6, 2012 at 7:45 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home